Planning your walk
Here are 10 steps to plan your own Out of the Shadows walk or to join an existing walk, please find a walk near you.
- Read the walk guidelines
- Nominate a contact email address for RSVP's
- Choose a location, map out your walk and determine if public liability insurance is required
- Accept the terms and conditions, and register your walk
- Receive confirmation from Lifeline
- Contact your local Lifeline Centre
- Recruit volunteers to assist you
- Spread the word to promote your walk
- Obtain suicide prevention awareness & support resources
- Use the event resources provided below to help you organise your walk.
- Encourage your friends, family and colleagues to participate in Out of the Shadows
- Talk about Out of the Shadows on Social Media
- Place posters and flyers in your local community business windows
- Contact your local media and request they promote Out of the Shadows advertisements
- Contact your local media outlets (newspapers, TV and radio stations) and ask them to promote Out of the Shadows
- Let your friends know you are attending Out of the Shadows on Facebook.
- Tweet about your walk on Twitter
- Post photos of your walk to Instagram
Speak to a local Lifeline Centre about arranging to have Lifeline telephone crisis supporters available at your event in case participants require support on the day. Your local Centre might also be able to provide you with advice, information and resources to help you with your event. Alternatively please contact us directly by emailing [email protected]